Caring for your customers is essential for the success of your business.
Here are a few tips to help you:
CARING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS THE PHONE
- You should always smile as you pick up the telephone to answer a call. This way the tone of your voice will be friendly and happy. If possible, answer the telephone within three rings.
- Sit up straight when talking on the phone.
- Speak distinctly and clearly and keep your voice low in the presence of others, it will be appreciated by the person you are talking to and everyone around you.
- If the person being called isn’t available, offer to take a message, then write it down.
- Never brusquely ask “Who is this?” when the caller is unknown or the call is for someone else. If the caller hasn’t observed the common courtesy of stating his/her name, you can politely ask, “May I ask who is calling?” or May I tell her who is calling, please?”
- It is rude to say “Wait a minute” and keep the caller waiting while you vanish on an errand of your own.
- Never say “Hold on”.
- Never eat while talking on the phone.
CARING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS IN PERSON
- Staff should handle customers with respect and be warm and welcoming.
- When you greet a customer who has been waiting in the foyer for you, you should shake their hand and either say “Hello” or “How do you do?” (if you don’t know them).
- Always let the customer go first unless you have to take them through a difficult path to your desk, then you may say “Shall I lead the way?”
- When you are finished your meeting, see your customers off your premises by walking them to the lift, shaking their hand and pushing the lift button for them.